Hugo Broos has dropped 21 names form his preliminary Bafana Bafana squad for his final selection for the upcoming 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
The Belgian tactician is currently unbeaten in 11 successive games with Bafana, a run stretching back to June 2022.
This month, Broos starts his campaign to lead South Africa to a World Cup for the first time since hosting the tournament in 2010, and they will kick it off against Benin on 18 November and Rwanda on 21 November.
With Nigeria, Lesotho and Zimbabwe also in Bafana’s group, Broos has highlighted that it’s important to win the first two games this month to put pressure on the other teams in the group.
Broos had to make some tough selections after announcing an extended 44-man preliminary squad, with the following 21 players dropped from his squad:
- Melusi Buthelezi (Orlando Pirates)
- Thabiso Monyane (Orlando Pirates)
- Given Msimango (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Thapelo Xoki (Orlando Pirates)
- Taariq Fielies (AmaZulu)
- Themba Mantshiyane (Golden Arrows)
- Thapelo Morena (Mamelodi Sundowns)
- Ime Okon (SuperSport United)
- S’fiso Hlanti (Kaizer Chiefs)
- Grant Margeman (SuperSport United)
- Njabulo Blom (Saint Louis City)
- Miguel Timm (Orlando Pirates)
- Thabang Monare (Orlando Pirates)
- Ethan Brooks (AmaZulu)
- Mlungisi Mbunjana (TS Galaxy)
- Evidence Makgopa (Orlando Pirates)
- Lyle Foster (Burnley)
- Khanyisa Mayo (Cape Town City)
- Monnapule Saleng (Orlando Pirates)
- Tshepang Moremi (AmaZulu)
- Elias Mokwana (Sekhukhune)