Tuesday, July 23, 2024
HomeInternationalVarane On France's 2010 Debacle In SA

Varane On France’s 2010 Debacle In SA

France defender Raphael Varane has insisted that the world champions have long moved on from the debacle during the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

The Manchester United defender picked up a minor injury niggle a few days ago when Les Bleus faced Ivory Coast and had to be substituted but insisted he’s 100% ready to face Bafana.

“Yes I’m 100% now, I just got a hit on my area of my ankle but that hit wasn’t that sensitive. I’m able to play.” Varane told media during press conference.

Tuesday’s meeting is the first between the two side’s since South Africa’s 2-1 win over France, when the European giants got eliminated in the group stages and had lots of controversy in their camp.

Varane, who only debuted for France in 2013, believes what happened in 2010 World Cup helped the French Football Federation to change.

“I like to talk about positive things and I think we learned from our past and from what happened,” he said.

“There has been changes since then and I guess it helped us and the federation to restructure and I’d rather see the bright side of that situation what it brought to the team rather than speaking the negative.”

France will face South Africa later tonight.

Stand a chance to WIN R2000 every day! Click the banner below to enter.

Sinethemba Makonco
Sinethemba Makonco
Sinethemba Makonco is one of South Africa's brightest up-and-coming football journalists. Makonco shot to prominence on social media as a reliable source for South African football news and transfer stories, and is currently working as a junior journalist at iDiski Times.
TRENDING

RELATED ARTICLES