Connect with us


AmaZulu Go Top

AmaZulu went top of the DStv Premiership table with a 1-0 win over Golden Arrows on Saturday afternoon. There were also wins for Chippa United and TS Galaxy, while Bloemfontein Celtic and Kaizer Chiefs had to settle for a 2-2 draw.

Benni McCarthy’s team become the first side in the league to past the fifty point mark, and go ahead of Mamelodi Sundowns for the first time. Sundowns play Orlando Pirates tomorrow.

Golden Arrows 0-1 AmaZulu

AmaZulu walked away with bragging rights as they won the Durban derby against Arrows 1-0 at the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium.

Thabo Qalinge went close for Usuthu in the 14th minute, but a brave block from Seth Parusnath denied him.

Luvoyo Memela went close in the 27th minute but Sifiso Mlungwana was able to get down and make save.

In the 37th minute Lehlohonolo Majoro had a chance, but his curling effort was just off target. 

Just before halftime Memela grabbed a stoppage time goal, his first time effort from outside the box beating Mlungwana to give AmaZulu the lead at the break.

Ten minutes into the second half, Mlungwana made a save from close range to stop Augustine Mulenga.

Majoro had a one-on-one with Mlungwana in the 64th minute, after Memela set him up, but his shot went just wide.

Knox Mutizwa got Arrows’ first goal attempt on target in the 78th minute, but his set piece attempt was saved well by Veli Mothwa.

AmaZulu should’ve had two in the 86th minute after Siyethemba Sithebe broke free, but despite coming from his own half, he was called off side.

Two minutes later Arrows hit the woodwork as Mutizwa almost grabbed a late equaliser, but his attempt hit the upright.

Bloemfontein Celtic 2-2 Kaizer Chiefs

Celtic came back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Chiefs at the Dr Petrus Molemela Stadium.

It was a good start for the visitors as Happy Mashiane put the visitors in the lead in the third minute, with a great free kick shot that gave Jackson Mabokgwane no chance.

Erick Mathoho doubled the lead in the 12th minute, heading in from a Lebogang Manyama cross.

Celtic pulled one back in the 22nd minute, as Neo Maema gathered well on the run, before running into the box and finishing past Daniel Akpeyi.

Akpeyi had to be alert in the 43 minute as Victor Letsoalo tried from a tight angle, but the Nigerian goalkeeper was able to tip it over.

At halftime, Chiefs led 2-1.

Mabokgwane made a good save in the 49th minute to deny Kearyn Baccus with his first-time shot.

Celtic were awarded a penalty in the 53rd minute after Siyabonga Ngezana committed a foul on Tebogo Potsane. Letsoalo stepped up and sent Bruce Bvuma, who had come on half time the wrong way.

Dumisani Zuma tried a long range effort in the 74th minute, but his shot went narrowly wide.

Bvuma made a good save in the 83rd minute to deny Sifiso Ngobeni a winner for Celtic.

TS Galaxy 1-0 Cape Town City

Galaxy picked up a valuable three points as they beat City 1-0 at Mbombela Stadium

Fagrie Lakay was denied in the 13th minute, as his powerful effort was saved by Marlon Heugh.

Mdu Mdantsane was denied by Heugh in the 40th minute, and at halftime it remained goalless.

Galaxy went into the lead in 62nd minute, with Mxolisi Macuphu grabbing the goal.

Chippa United 1-0 Stellenbosch

Chippa picked up a second successive win with a tight 1-0 win at Sisa Dukashe Stadium.

Veteran Kurt Lentjies gave Chippa the lead in the 13th minute, after good play in the counter attack.

That goal gave Chippa the lead at the break in East London, and despite a good effort from Stellenbosch to get back in the game, the home team were able to hold on for the win.