CAF Reschedule Rivers United-Bloem Celtic Game
CAF have announced that the CAF Confederation Cup first round second leg game between Nigeria’s Rivers United and Bloemfontein Celtic has been rescheduled.
Celtic were unable to go to Nigeria for the second leg, after the Nigerian government blocked their entry due to the country’s Covid-19 restrictions.
Rivers had won the first leg 2-0 in South Africa, and now the second leg is set to be played outside of Nigeria on the weekend of the 22-24 January.
SAFA confirmed the decision and while the venue is yet to be confirmed, it is to be played outside of Nigeria.
The CAF Committee has since decided on the following:
- The match will be rescheduled for the weekend of the 22-24 January 2021 and it will be played in a neighbouring country to Nigeria with more lenient COVID-19 protocols regarding travellers coming from South Africa.
- The Nigerian Football Federation to decide and communicate the venue, date, kick-off-time and the approval of the neutral host association by 12 January 2021 at the latest.
- The designation of the match officials are maintained.
- Rivers United FC to take charge of all organizational expenses in the neutral country as the host club and to ensure that the visiting team has the approval for entry in the neutral country.
- The additional player registration period starts on the 10th of January 2021, the two teams shall not be allowed to field any of the players registered during this period for this match.