Connect with us


Celtic Come Back To Beat Chippa

Bloemfontein Celtic beat Chippa United 2-1, while there were goalless draws in the Swallows versus Stellenbosch and Baroka versus Tshakhuma games in the DStv Premiership matches played on Tuesday.

Chippa United 1-2 Bloemfontein Celtic

Celtic came from a goal down to beat Chippa 2-1 at the Sisa Dukashe Stadium on Tuesday evening.

It was almost the ideal start for Celtic as Harris Tchilimbou was inches away from giving the visitors the lead, but his curling effort struck the crossbar. Two minutes later the same player shot wide. Tebogo Potsane tried a shot from inside the box in the tenth minute, but Rashid Watenga made a comfortable save.

Kurt Lentjies went close to giving the home team the lead in the 20th minute, but Jackson Mabokgwane pulled off a great save to deny the veteran midfielder from close range, after he made a good run into the box. Peter Maloisane shot wide in the 25th minute, as Chippa began to create a few chances.

Celtic were close to grabbing the lead in the 33rd minute, but Tchilimbou was unable to get on to the end of a good low cross from Ndumiso Mabena.

Chippa took the lead in the 38th minute thanks to a great long range effort from Mduduzi Sibeko, that left Mabokgwane with no chance.

Three minutes later Celtic came close to finding an equaliser, but Watenga was on hand to deny Tchilimbou, before saving from a Mabena attempt moments later. The visitors thought they had a penalty in the 44th minute after a ball struck Sandile Mthethwa’s arm, but Victor Hlungwane waved played on.

Tchilimbou shot over two minutes into the second half, while Mabena’s first time volley two minutes later was also off target. Lucky Baloyi’s powerful effort in the 53rd minute was saved by Watenga, while Tshepo Rikhotso shot wide four minutes later.

Chippa substitute Luyolo Nomandela had a shot on target in the 65th minute, but Mabokgwane comfortably saved.

Celtic were level a minute later as Neo Maela was set up by Tchilimbou and he placed the ball in the top corner.

And the visitors were in the lead in the 75th minute, as Mabena finished off after a goalmouth scramble, that had initially seen Thato Lingwati’s shot cleared off the line.

Lingwati was back in the action ten minutes later, but this time it was to make a good defensive clearance as Chippa threatened to score the equaliser.

Maema’s effort in the 90th minute was saved by Watenga, as Celtic had the better of the last few minutes and they held on for their first away win in the league this season.

Celtic move up to tenth on the log, while Chippa remain in the promotion/relegation playoff 15th place.

Baroka 0-0 Tshakhuma

Baroka and TTM played to a goalless draw at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

An early half chance in the third minute by Thabo Mnyamane went just wide, while a minute later Gerald Phiri Jr forced Washington Arubi into a save at the other end.

It was a bright start from Dylan Kerr’s team and Oscarine Masuluke made a good save in the sixth minute as Celimpilo Ngema’s effort from outside the area was on target. Masuluke made another good save in the 13th minute, getting one hand to a goal bound shot from Mnyamane.

Cheslyn Jampies had a chance for Baroka in the 19th minute, but his volley went wide of Arubi’s goal, as did Evidence Makgopa’s attempt in the 33rd minute. Ngema had a great chance just before halftime, but Masuluke made another big save to deny the former Uthongathi midfielder, and at the break it remained goalless.

Makgopa and Richard Mbulu had chances for the home team early in the second half, but Arubi was on hand to make the saves.Masuluke made another good save in the 74th minute from another Ngema attempt, as the goals continued to allude both sides.

A stoppage time chance for Bonginkosi Makume sailed over Arubi’s goal, and at the final whistle, the match ended in a stalemate.

Baroka move up to eighth, at least for the next 24 hours, while TTM are up to twelfth.

Swallows 0-0 Stellenbosch

 Swallows and Stellenbosch ended goalless at the Dobsonville Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

Kagiso Malinga had a chance for Swallows in the 14th minute, but his headed attempt was off target.

Kamohelo Mahlatsi had a great chance for the home team in the 28th minute, but his curling effort hit the upright. Five minutes later Mahlatsi threatened again, but this time he couldn’t find the target.

Sibusiso Mthethwa had a chance for Stellenbosch in the 38th minute, but his shot never threatened Sanele Tshabalala’s goal.

Ashley Du Preez almost grabbed the lead just before the break, but his well stuck volley was well dealt with by Tshabalala, and it remained scoreless at halftime.

The battle continued in the second half, but there weren’t too many clear cut chances, though Stanley Dimgba got a header on target in the 75th minute, though it was comfortably dealt with by Tshabalala.

But in the end, it was another draw, a record 18th of the season for fifth-placed Swallows. Stellenbosch remain in 14th position.