Connect with us


Chiefs Too Good For Baroka

Kaizer Chiefs beat Baroka, and there were wins for SuperSport United, Sekhukhune United, Stellenbosch and Cape Town City as six DStv Premiership fixtures were played on Wednesday.

Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 Baroka

Chiefs were almost in the lead in the opening minute, with Veli Mothwa stranded outside the box, Bernard Parker’s effort was well blocked by Vusi Sibiya, and with Mothwa back in place, Samir Nurkovic shot wide.

But the Amakhosi were in front in the ninth minute as Khama Billiat blasted in Njabulo Blom’s good cross.

Baroka were almost level in the 16th minute, but Richard Mbulu’s header hit the crossbar, and Train Mokhabi shot over with the follow up.

But from then on, the first half belonged to Chiefs.

Billiat shot over in the 23rd minute, but four minutes later it was 2-0 as Daniel Cardoso’s glancing header off a S’fiso Hlanti cross flew past Oscarine Masuluke. 

Masuluke pulled off a good save in the 33rd minute from an attempt from Keagan Dolly, while Billiat should have made it three a few minutes later, but after running onto a great Dolly through ball, Billiat’s effort went just wide.

Just before the half-time whistle the Zimbabwean had two more great chances, but first he was denied by the upright, before just shooting wide.

2-0 to Chiefs at half time, but it really could have been by more

Denwin Farmer made a big interception five minutes into the second half, to deny Chiefs who were looking to add to their tally. 

And Farmer who came on at halftime, pulled a goal back for Baroka, when in the 59th minute, he blasted in a low shot.

Ananias Gebhardt forced a save out of Bruce Bvuma in the 64th minute, while Masuluke saved Phathutshedzo Nange’s header in the 75th minute.

Considering Chiefs’ early domination, it shouldn’t have been a nervy end, but it was, and in the 78th minute Bvuma made an important clearance after a defensive mix-up. Moments later Mbulu had a good chance, but headed just wide of goal. Bvuma saved again in the 85th minute from Nhlanhla Mgaga, while Farmer went wide in the 88th minute.

And when Farmer missed another late half chance in stoppage time, the Amakhosi had done enough to hold on for the three points.

Chiefs XI: Bvuma, Hlanti, Mathoho, Cardoso, Blom, Alexander, Nange, Parker, Dolly, Billiat, Nurkovic.

Baroka XI: Masuluke, Mphahlele, Gebhardt, Sibiya, Mokhabi, Mbulu, Dlala, Kambala, Shozi, Chauke, Makgopa.

Maritzburg Utd 0-2 Sekhukhune Utd

Maritzburg suffered a home defeat as they lost 2-0 to Sekhuhkhune at Harry Gwala Stadium

Chibuike Ohizu made it 1-0 to Sekhukhune in the 18th minute, and then added a second ten minutes later to give Sekhukhune a two goal lead, which they held onto for their first win in top flight football.

Stellenbosch 1-0 TS Galaxy

Stellenbosch picked up an important 1-0 home win against a 10 man TS Galaxy at Danie Craven Stadium.

After a goalless first half in Stellenbosch, where Pogiso Sanoka was sent off, the home team took the lead in the 58th minute through Ashley Du Preez.

Royal AM 1-2 Cape Town City

City came from a goal down to beat Royal AM 2-1 at Chatsworth Stadium.

Royal AM grabbed the lead in the 12th minute, when Ndumiso Mabena finished off from in front of goal, and the hosts led 1-0 at the break.

City were level in the 53rd minute as Mdu Mdantsane found the net after a good run and setup by Thami Mkhize.

And the visitors were in front in the 58th minute, as Taariq Fielies headed City into the lead.

AmaZulu 0-0 Swallows

While it was a competitive match out in Durban and both teams had chances, there were no goals in Durban.

SuperSport United 3-1 Golden Arrows

Earlier in the day, in the only game that kicked off at 3pm, SuperSport picked up their first win of the season with a 3-1 win over Arrows at the Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium.

SuperSport took a first half lead as Teboho Mokoena struck home on the half hour mark.

They doubled the score in the 55th minute, and it was Sipho Mbule who headed in from a ball into the box by Bradley Grobler.

Thamsanqa Gabuza came off the bench to wrap up the result against his former team, when he beat the defence and showed good composure to finish off in the 82nd minute.

Arrows were awarded a penalty in the 90th minute, and Siphamandla Sabelo stepped up to score his second goal of the season.