Connect with us


Maritzburg & Swallows Ends 1-1

It ended 1-1 in the DStv Premiership between Maritzburg United and Swallows at the Harry Gwala Stadium on Friday evening.

Swallows move up to fourth spot with their 16th draw of the season, while Maritzburg remain 13th, but join Stellenbosch on 25 points. The Team of Choice still have a game in hand over many of their opponents above them.

Maritzburg United 1-1 Swallows

Thabiso Kutumela had the first chance of the game as early as the second minute, but his curling attempt went high and wide.

Kutumela had another chance in the 21st minute, but his free kick went wide. A minute later Bongokuhle Hlongwane had a chance for the home team, but his effort was off target as well.

Hlongwane had another chance in the 41st minute, but after doing well to turn and shoot, the young striker’s shot lacked power and Virgil Vries was able to gather easily.

At halftime it remained goalless, with the home team having the best of the half, with the visitors failing to get a shot at goal.

That first shot came a minute into the second half, as Lebohang Mokoena tested Marcel Engelhardt, who made the save comfortably.

But it was the home team who took the lead in the 49th minute, as Travis Graham scored his first goal for Maritzburg, after bustling past the defenders, the former Ajax Cape Town captain found the net from a tight angle.

Swallows were level on the hour mark, as S’fiso Hlanti found himself in the box on a counter attack, and he finished well from Zaphiniah Mbokoma’s cross.

Maritzburg went close again in the 68th minute, but substitute Bandile Shandu, was unable to get to the end of a Hlongwane cross, after some good build-up play between the two to get into a good position.

Four minutes later Kutumela tried from a tight angle, but Vries was able to pull off the save.

Vries had to be alert int the 86th minute to tip over a goal bound header from Clayton Daniels.

A minute later Musa Nyatama tried to catch Engelhardt off his line with a long chip towards goal, but it went narrowly over.

Both teams pushed for a win at the end but couldn’t find the decider and it ended 1-1.