Connect with us


Sundowns Beat Chiefs In Shootout Win

Mamelodi Sundowns have qualified for the MTN8 semi-finals after beating Kaizer Chiefs in a penalty shootout at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Chiefs had fought back from two goals down to force the game to go into extra time as it ended 2-2 after 90 and then 120 minutes. Kennedy Mweene was the hero of the shootout as he saved four penalties and scored one, Sundowns winning the shootout 2-1.

While Chiefs included four new signings in their starting eleven, Sundowns didn’t include any new players in their starting line-up. 

It was the DStv Premiership champions, who showed the early intent, and Peter Shalulile put Sundowns in the lead in the 9th minute as he headed in a great cross from Lyle Lakay.

Kgaogelo Sekgota tried a shot for Chiefs in the 12th minute, but his left-footed effort was never on target, and a minute later Shalulile and Lakay combined again, but this time the Namibian’s header was off target.

Another new Chiefs signing, S’fiso Hlanti, went close in the 22nd minute, but his header was just wide of Kennedy Mweene’s goal, but a minute later Sundowns were two goals up as Themba Zwane was set up by Mothobi Mvala, and Zwane blasted it in off the upright.

Mvala almost made it three in the 28th minute, as he tried a powerful long range effort, but Itumeleng Khune was able to make a save, while Lakay went even closer, but was denied by the upright in the 33rd minute, as his long range effort rattled the woodwork.

Chiefs pulled one back in the 38th minute as Bernard Parker headed in a cross from Njabulo Blom. It was Parker’s first league goal in over two years, having lost scored in the Premiership in March 2019.

Parker had another good chance in the 44th minute, after a speedy counter-attack from Chiefs, but Mosa Lebusa blocked the on-target effort. 

At half-time Sundowns led 2-1 in a first half they dominated, though Chiefs would have taken confidence into the break after Parker’s goal, and an improved performance near the end of the half.

Sundowns thought they had a penalty in the 51st minute, when Aubrey Modiba’s cross hit Cole Alexander’s arm, but Victor Gomes waved played on. 

Chiefs introduced Keagan Dolly in the 58th minute and he made an immediate impact as with his first touch, he set up his former Sundowns’ teammate Khama Billiat, who’s shot flew past Mweene to make it 2-2.

Lakay forced a saved out of Khune in the 66th minute, who had to be alert a minute later to deny Khuliso Mudau’s long range attempt.

Sundowns new striker Pavol Safranko, who came off the bench, had his first attempt at goal in the 85th minute, but his header went high and wide, while Dolly’s attempt a minute later on the other end of the pitch was also off target. Phathutshedzo Nange forced a good save out of Mweene in the 89th minute, as the Zambian veteran dived well to deny Nange’s curling effort.

Level at 2-2 after 90 minutes, the game went to extra time, and three minutes in Lakay forced a good save out of Khune. In the 98th minute Zwane went just wide, while Safranko headed wide three minutes later.

Sundowns’ substitute Neo Maema went just wide wide in the 109th minute, while three minutes later Shalulile shot into the side-netting.

Erick Mathoho tried an acrobatic effort with two minutes to go, but it flew over, but with neither side finding a winner in 120 minutes, the match went to a penalty shootout.

Here is how they lined up:

Sundowns XI: Mweene, Lakay, Mudau, De Reuck, Lebusa, Mvala, Domingo, Coetzee, Modiba, Shalulile, Zwane.

Chiefs XI: Khune, Hlanti, Mathoho, Cardoso, Blom, Alexander, Nange, Parker, Sekgota, Billiat, Nurkovic.