Connect with us


Sundowns Move 4 Clear With Maritzburg Win

Mamelodi Sundowns moved four points clear at the top of the DStv Premiership when they beat Maritzburg United 2-0 at the Loftus Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

Sundowns move onto 54 points, and still have a game in hand over second-placed AmaZulu. The result means Maritzburg drop to 13th spot, dropping below Stellenbosch on goal difference.

Mamelodi Sundowns 2-0 Maritzburg United

Themba Zwane had the ball in the back of the net in the 6th minute, but the goal was ruled out for an off-side call on Zwane and Mosa Lebusa.

Peter Shalulile almost took advantage of a defensive error in the 16th minute, but his shot from a tight angle, hit the upright and bounced back in to play. There was more woodwork, again as Marcel Engelhardt got a touch to Shalulile’s header, and hit the crossbar.

Bongokuhle Hlongwane’s chance in the 23rd minute was the first for Maritzburg, but his shot flew over Denis Onyango’s goal.

Hlongwane went close again in the 35th minute, this time with a header, but it went just wide of the goal.

Sundowns were awarded a penalty in the 38th minute as Gift Motupa was brought down by Clayton Daniels in the box. Ricardo Nascimento stepped up to the spot and sent Engelhardt the wrong way to make it 1-0.

Hlongwane went close again for Maritzburg two minutes later, but his shot from the edge of the area went wide, and at halftime the league leaders held on to their one goal lead.

iDiski Times Edition 18 Out Now!

Substitute Promise Mkhuma had a chance for Sundowns in the 49th minute, but his attempt from a set piece flew over the goal. Nascimento went close a minute later from a corner, but his header was just off target.

It was the Sundowns captain again in the middle of the action in the 53rd minute, this time Engelhardt saving Nascimento’s headed attempt.

Thapelo Morena’s effort in the 65th minute was on target, but Engelhardt dealt it with comfortably.

Gift Motupa doubled the lead in the 71st minute, a good powerful shot into the far corner.

Ernst Middendorp’s team continued to look for a way back into the game, but Sundowns defence stood strong and it ended 2-0