Home » CAF Champions League » Cupido Responds To World Cup Talk After Cardoso Praise

Cupido Responds To World Cup Talk After Cardoso Praise

Lorenz Kohler

May 20, 2026

Fresh off a commanding defensive display in Mamelodi Sundowns‘ 1-0 CAF Champions League final first leg victory over AS FAR at Loftus Versfeld, Keanu Cupido has been backed by coach Miguel Cardoso to earn a place in South Africa’s squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup – but the defender himself is leaving the decision entirely in Hugo Broos’ hands.

Cardoso was effusive in his praise after the match, going as far as declaring Cupido the best defender in the country and calling for his inclusion in Bafana Bafana’s World Cup plans.

“Cupido is an international player, he can play for Bafana Bafana in any moment, he is a fantastic player,” he said after the 1st leg CAF Champions League final in the post-match press conference.

It was a remarkable endorsement from a coach who has seen first-hand just how much Cupido brings to a backline, particularly on a night when the Brazilians kept a clean sheet in the biggest game of their season.

For his part, Cupido responded to the praise with the same composure he showed on the pitch, refusing to lobby for himself and instead deferring gracefully to the national team coaching staff.

“It’s up to the coach to choose the team, if I do get chosen, I would be honoured, and if I don’t, I’d also be happy for the other guys that are going to the World Cup,” Cupido said. “As a country there’s a lot of talent, if I do get an opportunity, I’d be really honoured to represent the national team.”

It is the kind of team-first attitude that has made Cupido such a respected figure within the Sundowns dressing room – and his World Cup case will not have been hurt by Sunday’s performance.

The defender, who had been a serious doubt for the final after picking up a shoulder injury against Kaizer Chiefs earlier this month, returned to partner Khulumani Ndamane in central defence and was a pillar of calm as Sundowns frustrated the Moroccan side throughout.

South Africa’s participation in the 2026 FIFA World Cup; to be co-hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico – marks a historic return to the tournament for Bafana Bafana, and competition for places in the defensive unit is expected to be fierce.

But if Cupido continues performing at the level he has shown in this CAF Champions League campaign, it will be difficult for any coach to overlook him.

For now, though, the focus remains on Sundowns and completing the job in Rabat next Sunday, where a second leg against a fired-up AS FAR side awaits. A FIFA World Cup call-up would be a wonderful bonus — but there is still a continental final to win first.

Did you know that the iDiski Times Digital Newspaper is completely free! Download it now by clicking the button below or fill in the form to have it sent to you every week.

Leave a Comment