Saturday, July 20, 2024
HomeiDiski Digital PaperSithebe Opens Up On ‘Shock’ Chiefs Exit

Sithebe Opens Up On ‘Shock’ Chiefs Exit

Former Kaizer Chiefs midfielder Siyethemba Sithebe has opened up about his surprise departure from the club.

The 31-year-old was among several out-of-contract players released by Amakhosi last week as the club looks to revamp their squad ahead of the 2024/25 campaign. Amakhosi endured their worst-ever term, finishing outside the top eight.

Sithebe joined the Glamour Boys from AmaZulu in 2022, but played just 39 matches across all competitions in what was an injury-ravaged stay.

Speaking to iDiski Times senior writer Velile Mnyandu in edition 161 of the newspaper, Sithebe expressed shock at his exit, saying he was under the impression that his camp and the club were still going to negotiate an extension.

“What I can say is that I was playing back from injury,” Sithebe told iDiski Times.

“And when I spoke with the Director before I went home, he said we’d talk, and then I came back to negotiate. So, it was between two things: negotiating for another season or a new contract.

“I think they made a decision not to renew, obviously. But as a player, you might be shocked, like I wasn’t expecting this, but it’s football.”

You can read Sithebe’s full interview with Mnyandu in edition 161 when you subscribe for the iDiski Times WhatsApp channel for FREE.

Lethabo Kganyago
Lethabo Kganyago
Lethabo Kganyago is currently working as a web and newspaper writer for iDiski Times. This award-winning sports journalist covers the Limpopo area and also specialises in coverage of women's football, including Banayana Banyana.
TRENDING

RELATED ARTICLES