Saturday, April 20, 2024
HomeLocalMaritzburg Win But Draws Dominate Saturday Action

Maritzburg Win But Draws Dominate Saturday Action

Maritzburg United moved to 14th as they beat TS Galaxy 2-0, but there were draws in the three other DStv Premiership fixtures played on Saturday.

TS Galaxy 0-2 Maritzburg United

Maritzburg moved out of the relegation zone as they beat Galaxy 2-0 at the Mbombela Stadium on Saturday evening.

Marlon Heugh was called into action in the first play of the game, as he had to make a save to deny Jose Ali Meza.

It was Maritzburg with the early chances, but efforts from Thabiso Kutumela and Tebogo Tlolane went wide.

Kutumela went close in the 39th minute, but Heugh made a good save at the near post to deny him, and was on hand to make another save from the player a few minutes later.

At half-time it remained goalless.

Meza thought he had penalty in the 57th minute but the referee waved play on, and correctly so, as Macbeth Mahlangu had got the ball, not the man.

Dan Morgan tried an audacious effort from just inside the Galaxy half, and it almost snuck in, but Heugh was able to palm it onto the cross bar.

Bongokuhle Hlongwane broke the deadlock in the 75th minute with a fantastic solo effort, as he cut in from the right and slotted it with his left foot past Heugh, into the top corner.

Kutumela made it 2-0 in the 80th as he pounced on a loose ball in the box, after a defensive error, and scored his seventh league goal of the season.

Marcel Engelhardt made a great save in stoppage time to deny Justice Figareido, as Erst Middendorp’s team held on for an important win.

- Advertisement -

Chippa United 2-2 Swallows

Chippa fought back from two goals down to force a 2-2 draw with Swallows on Saturday afternoon at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium

Swallows grabbed the early lead as Kgaogelo Sekgota put the Birds up in just the fifth minute of the game.

Three minutes later it was two, as Ruzaigh Gamildien continued his goal scoring form.

Zephaniah Mbokoma almost made it three just before halftime but his effort went over, and at the break Swallows led by two.

Anthony Laffor pulled one back for Chippa five minutes into the second half, scoring from the spot after Peter Maloisane was fouled in the area.

Chippa were level on the hour mark, as Augustine Kwem was fastest to react, and pounced to score after the ball bounced off the upright.

Swallows were reduced to ten men when Gamildien was sent off in the 65th minute for something he said to the assistant referee.

A good fight back from Chippa, but another draw for Brandon Truter and Swallows, who last won a league match ten games ago.

Baroka 1-1 Bloemfontein Celtic

Baroka and Celtic both ended with a man sent off as they drew 1-1 at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Victor Letsoalo put the visitors into the lead, scoring in the 20th minute to make it 1-0.

It was enough to give Celtic the lead at halftime.

Celtic looked to be holding for the win, but Baroka finally broke through in the 83rd minute when Richard Mbulu found the equaliser.

However Baroka were reduced to ten men, when goalkeeper Elvis Chipezeze was sent off, Gerald Phiri junior having to go into goal, with Baroka having used all their subs.

Justice Chabalala joined Chipezeze for an early shower when he was sent off in stoppage time, as both teams ended with ten men.

Golden Arrows 1-1 Cape Town City

Arrows and City couldn’t be separated as they played to a 1-1 draw at the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Cape Town City were in the lead in the fourth minute as Abdul Ajagun tapped in nicely after Sifiso Mlungwana had saved Craig Martin’s initial attempt, but only to deflect into the Nigerian’s path.

Three minutes later Peter Leeuwenburgh pulled off a good save to deny Nkosinathi Sibisi.

Arrows were level in the 13th minute, as Velemseni Ndwandwe took advantage of a deflection off the upright, and put it past Leeuwenburgh. Ndwandwe looked to be off side, however the assistant referee missed it.

Aubrey Ngoma went close for City in the 28th minute, but his first time attempt flew over the bar. It was an open first 45, with half chances falling to both teams, but at halftime it remained 1-1.

There were early chances for both teams in the second half, as Terrence Mashego’s cross flashed past the Arrows goal, and his own teammates, while Pule Mmodi went narrowly wide on the other end.

Ntsako Makhubela’s had a chance in the 56th minute from long range, but his powerful shot went just over, while Divine Lunga came to Arrows’ rescue in the 68th minute as he cleared ’s Mpho Makola’s headed attempt off the line.

Leeuwenburgh made a save from Makhubela in the 74th minute and moments later Gladwin Shitolo’s header from a corner almost caused problems, but City were able to clear.

Fagrie Lakay was unlucky in the 83rd minute as his effort from outside the area struck the crossbar.

In the end, neither team were able to find the winner.

iDiski Times
iDiski Times
iDiski Times is one of the fastest-growing football brands in South Africa. Boasting a free weekly newspaper as well as a 24/7 news website with top breaking news in the PSL (DStv Premiership, Motsepe Foundation Championship), women's football and all other major tournaments in South Africa and abroad.