Home » Betway Premiership » McCarthy Opens Up On Breakthrough Season At Chiefs

McCarthy Opens Up On Breakthrough Season At Chiefs

Lorenz Kohler

May 22, 2026

Kaizer Chiefs defender Aden McCarthy has reflected on a standout 2025/26 Betway Premiership campaign, crediting his off-field work as the foundation for his progress at the club.

The 22-year-old centre-back has made 31 appearances in the first team this season, chipping in with two goals and establishing himself as a regular in the Chiefs backline.

McCarthy said the season felt like a natural progression after years of working his way through the system.

“Before this season started, I was able to make my debut for the senior team, it’s definitely one to remember,” he said at the club’s media day at Naturena Village this morning.

“Prior to that I won the DDC and I’ve been in the first-team set-up for the past two, three seasons. It wasn’t anything new to me, I was training and playing games with the reserve team.”

His consistent performances earned him his first professional contract, a two-year deal with a one-year option expected to run until June 2029, as confirmed by iDiski Times last month.

The defender was keen to highlight the mental preparation behind his rise. “I feel like what I did off the field helped me stay grounded,” he said.

“I’ve done boxing for almost a year, I’ve seen a mental coach, so mentally I’d say I’m very strong.” He also credited performance psychologist Mr Henning, whom he began consulting before the season started: “Prior to him coming here, I saw him three or four times – to prepare me for the future, what would be out of my control and how I manage it.”

McCarthy is expected to continue in the heart of Chiefs defence this weekend in their final league game of the season against Chippa United at Moses Mabhida Stadium.

Did you know that the iDiski Times Digital Newspaper is completely free! Download it now by clicking the button below or fill in the form to have it sent to you every week.