Saturday, July 13, 2024
HomeDStv PremiershipGoalless Between City & Sundowns

Goalless Between City & Sundowns

Cape Town City and DStv Premiership leaders Mamelodi Sundowns played to a goalless draw at the Cape Town Stadium on Saturday evening.

Cape Town City 0-0 Mamelodi Sundowns

It was just the defending champions’ second draw of the season, and with eight wins they remain in front, and are still yet to concede a goal.

Haashim Domingo was on target in the 6th minute, but his shot lacked power, and Hugo Marques made an easy save. Mdu Mdantsane had a good chance for City in the 21st minute, but Mosa Lebusa’s sliding interception stopped the attack.

Fagrie Lakay raced clear in the 30th minute, but scuffed his final shot and it went across the face of Denis Onyango’s goal. A minute later he had another chance, this time with power, but Onyango was up to the save.

Sundowns were awarded a dangerous free kick, and Domingo’s effort in the 35th minute was on target, but Marques made a good diving save. Five minutes Peter Shalulile’s attempt was wayward, as was Divine Lunga moments later.

When the referee blew for halftime it remained goalless.

Domingo was on target in the 48th minute, but Marques got down well to make the save. Lunga went wide from a header two minutes later.

City substitute Douglas Mapfumo’s header was saved in the 64th minute, while Thabiso Kutumela’s curling effort three minutes later was just over. Onyango made a good save to deny  Taahir Goedeman in the 70th minute.

Substitute Neo Maema forced a save from Marques in the 90th minute, but it was close as either team would get to score, and it ended goalless, points were shared in Cape Town

Baroka 0-1 Chippa United

Chippa United picked up just their second win of the season, as they beat Baroka 1-0 at the Peter Mokaba Stadium.

It was the first game for the Gqeberha-based side since they suspended Gavin Hunt.

It was goalless in the first 45, but Mogakolodi Ngele’s free kick gave Chippa the lead in the 75th minute, in interim coach Kurt Lentjies first game in charge.

SuperSport United 1-2 Marumo Gallants

Gallants came from a goal down to beat SuperSport 2-1 at the Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium.

Thamsanqa Gabuza gave the home team lead in just the fifth minute, with a close range finish.

But Sede Dion levelled matters for Gallants in the 38th minute.

And just when it looked to be heading to a draw, Lerato Lamola grabbed the winner for the visitors in the 87th minute

Sekhukhune United 1-0 Royal AM

Sekhukhune United picked up another good win as they beat Royal AM 1-0 at Ellis Park Stadium.

Goalless in the first 45, Sekhukhune grabbed the lead five minutes into the second half through Edwin Gyimah.

iDiski Times
iDiski Times
iDiski Times is one of the fastest-growing football brands in South Africa. Boasting a free weekly newspaper as well as a 24/7 news website with top breaking news in the PSL (DStv Premiership, Motsepe Foundation Championship), women's football and all other major tournaments in South Africa and abroad.