Manqoba Gives Nasir & Saavedra Update

Mamelodi Sundowns coach Manqoba Mngqithi has confirmed that Abubeker Nasir is still a player at the club, while hinting that Erwin Saavedra could be registered as a local by virtue of naturalisation. Sundowns currently have seven foreign players in Matías Esquivel, Marcelo Allende, Abdelmounaim Boutouil, Lucas Ribeiro, Abubeker Nasir, Divine Lunga and Arthur Sales, with only five players allowed to be registered per team. Speaking to Robert Marawa on 947, Mngqithi has confirmed that the Ethiopian forward is still part of the Sundowns set up. “I think so because he’s training with us,” Mngqithi said when asked if Nasir is

Read more

Stellies Secure Promising New Signing

Stellenbosch FC have secured the services of promising teenage winger Faiz Abrahams after his exit from Cape Town Spurs. Abrahams, 19, has long been touted as one of the future stars in Cape Town, having excelled in the iKamva set-up and winning the 2022 Bayhill Premier Cup Player of the Tournament. He was swiftly promoted to the first team where he featured five times in their Motsepe Foundation Championship campaign where they won promotion via the playoffs. However, his season in the top-flight was limited to just two games and he opted to reject the contract offer to remain with

Read more

Khanye Questions Mngqithi Tactics In MTN8 Opener

Former Kaizer Chiefs winger Junior Khanye reckons that Mamelodi Sundowns coach Manqoba Mngqithi needs to have a Plan B moving forward in the season, because they were too predictable. This is at the back of ten-man Sundowns’ narrow 1-0 win over Polokwane City in the MTN8 quarter-final in Tshwane on Sunday. The game was eventually won through a Thabang Matuludi own goal to set-up a semi-final meeting with Stellenbosch FC. Khanye says the reason Mngqithi needs an alternative plan is that the Brazilians were too predictable on the day while some of their key players were off form. “Mamelodi Sundowns

Read more

Official: Next Sundowns Exit Confirmed

Argentinian side Club Atlético Talleres have confirmed the signing of Matias Esquivel from Mamelodi Sundowns. The midfielder only joined Sundowns from Club Atlético Lanús in January in a reported $2.5-million transfer but had only played 13 games. He has now returned to his home country, joining his former club in a season-long loan with an option to buy, as reported by iDiski Times. “Club Atlético Talleres reports that Matías Eduardo Esquivel is a new player for the institution and is already training with the senior team,” the club stated. “Matis Esquivel, an acquaintance of the Club who returns in a

Read more

Ex-Pirates Striker Continues Fine Scoring Form Abroad

Former Orlando Pirates striker Kwame Peprah has continued his goalscoring exploits in the Indian Super League for Kerala Blasters, netting the opening goal in a 7-0 drubbing of CISF Protectors. The 23-year-old former Bucs man joined Blasters shortly after leaving the Mayfair outfit and has already begun the 2024/25 campaign in red-hot form. Peprah has amassed four goals and four assists in just three matches in the Indian Oil Durand Cup competition. This was Peprah’s fourth goal in just two matches after netting a hat-trick in their resounding 8-0 success over Mumbai City in the same competition at the beginning

Read more

Stellies Identify Rayners Replacement

There looks set to be an interesting ‘knock-on effect’ transfer scenario involving Stellenbosch FC and Cape Town Spurs following the exit of Iqraam Rayners to Mamelodi Sundowns. It is an open secret that the Cape Winelands team had already earmarked Spurs’ winger Ashley Cupido as a potential replacement for Rayners, and this was reported earlier in 2024 when the Sundowns-bound striker was linked with a move to Saudi Arabia. Similarly, Stellies had identified Spurs’ captain Chumani Butsaka as a potential replacement for Jayden Adams, when the Bafana Bafana midfielder was strongly linked to Sundowns. Now iDiski Times sources have said

Read more

Van Rooyen Breaks Silence After Pirates Move

New Orlando Pirates defender Deano Van Rooyen has sent a farewell message to his former club Stellenbosch FC after his move to the Buccaneers was confirmed. Earlier on Monday, Pirates confirmed the signing of Van Rooyen on a three-year deal with a two-year option. Van Rooyen, 27, was one of the mainstay’s in Steve Barker’s squad and helped the club to lift their first ever trophy last season but his fine performances now saw him being snatched up by the Buccaneers, as Stellies lose another key player. The former Stellies co-captain has now penned some emotional words to his old club. “It

Read more

Agent Reveals How Close Chiefs Came To Signing Mayo

Basia Michaels, the agent of Khanyisa Mayo, has revealed how close Kaizer Chiefs came to signing the former Cape Town City forward. Mayo, 25, joined Algerian giants CR Belouizdad in a blockbuster deal and was unveiled by the club last week. But there was also talk of local interest, with Mamelodi Sundowns and Kaizer Chiefs being linked with the 2022/23 golden boot winner. However, Michaels revealed that Sundowns interest came before Mayo signed a new five-year deal with Cape Town City last season, while Chiefs were hot on his tails this window. Michaels also confirmed that Mayo himself was keen

Read more

Amajita Playmaker Makes Pro Debut In Europe

South Africa U20 midfielder Michael Dokunmu could not hide his delight after making his professional debut in the Netherlands with Vitesse Arnhem. The club, who suffered relegation from the Eredivisie last season after being deducted 18 points due to issues with the KNVB licensing regulations due to financial issues, started off the season with a 1-0 defeat to Telstar. However, the youthful squad featured two players now eligible for the South Africa national team with Kimberly-born Dokunmu, who was part of the Amajimbos squad from the U17 Africa Cup of Nations in Algeria last year. The former Randburg and SuperSport

Read more