Connect with us


Chiefs End Sundowns Unbeaten Run

 Kaizer Chiefs ended log-leaders Mamelodi Sundowns unbeaten run in the DStv Premiership with a 2-1 win, while Chippa United and Golden Arrows ended goalless in the two matches played on Sunday afternoon.

Mamelodi Sundowns 1-2 Kaizer Chiefs

 Two goals in two minutes for Chiefs stunned Sundowns as they walked away 2-1 winners at Loftus Stadium.

The result ends Sundowns’ unbeaten run in the league, and also see Chiefs move into eighth spot.

Gaston Sirino had an early attempt for the home team, but his shot from outside the area in the third minute went wide Itumeleng Khune’s goal.

Sirino had another attempt in the 20th minute, this time straight at Khune, who saved comfortably.

Leonardo Castro had Chiefs’ first chance a minute later, but his attempt flew into the side-netting.

Lyle Lakay’s first time volley in the 22nd minute went just wide, after he pounced on Daniel Cardoso’s attempted clearance.

Castro had a good chance for Chiefs in the 30th minute, but he rushed his shot from in front of goal, and blasted it over. Two minutes later Philani Zulu had a chance, but his first time volley was saved by Denis Onyango.

But Sundowns were ahead in the 35th minute as Sirino was played in by Gift Motupa, who dribbled into the box ahead of the defence, and around Khune, before hitting it into the back of the goal.

Lebogang Manyama did well to turn and shoot in the 42nd minute, but his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Just before halftime Dumisani Zuma got to the end of a Reeve Frosler cross, but his shot couldn’t find the target, and at the break Sundowns held the lead.

Castro tried a long range effort three minutes into the second half, but Onyango made the save, gathering at the second attempt.

Lebohang Maboe had a great chance to double Sundowns’ lead in the 64th minute after being teed up by Sirino, but he couldn’t control and missed the opportunity. It was to prove costly.

Samir Nurkovic’s deflected cross off Mosa Lebusa in the 72nd minute, levelled matters for Chiefs. An own goal, as the deflection from Lebusa gave Onyango no chance to recover.

A minute later it was 2-1 to Chiefs, as Zuma raced clear off the defence, before he poked the ball past Onyango to leave Sundowns stunned.

Mothobi Mvala went close for Sundowns in the 75th minute, but the substitute’s effort went just wide.

Khune pulled off a good save in stoppage time to deny Kermit Erasmus from long range, as Chiefs held on for the win.

Chippa United 0-0 Golden Arrows

Chippa and Arrows couldn’t find the goals as they drew 0-0 at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

Both teams created early opportunities but it took 28 minutes for the first shot to be on target, however Sifiso Mlungwana dealt easily with Kurt Lentjies’ shot at goal.

Velemseni Ndwandwe had a chance for Arrows in the 38th minute, but after a good build-up by Arrows, Ndwandwe’s attempt was easily dealt with by Rashid Watenga.

The first half ended goalless, but it was a good performance from the home team, who had the better of the first 45.

Chippa thought they had a penalty in the opening minute after the second half, with Augustine Kwem going down under Mlungwana, but the referee waved play on.

Frederic Nsabiyumva went close in the 52nd minute, but Mlungwana was able to save his goal-bound header.

Ndwandwe had another chance for Arrows in the 57th minute, but his attempt was cleared off the line.

Gladwin Shitolo went close for the visitors in the 83rd minute, but Watenga pulled off a good save to keep it goalless.