Connect with us


Points Shared Between Usuthu & SSU

AmaZulu and SuperSport United played to a goalless draw, as both teams ended with ten men in their DStv Premiership match at the Kings Park Stadium on Tuesday.

This was the only mid-week game, being played now due to AmaZulu’s participation in the CAF Champions League. Cape Town City was due to host Marumo Gallants on Wednesday, but it has postponed after Gallants had travel delays after competing in the CAF Confederation Cup.

There were early chances for the home team, but Thabo Qalinge was off target in the 5th minute, as was captain Makhehlene Makhaula in the 12th minute.

But it was an open start and Kudakwashe Mahachi was on target in the 15th minute, but his shot went straight to Veli Mothwa. AmaZulu had a great chance after a defensive slip in the 20th minute, but Siphelele Mthembu lost his footing and couldn’t get a shot off when one-on-one with Ronwen Williams. Qalinge conjured up a good chance in the 26th minute, but Williams was able to palm it over.

Jamie Webber tried a long range effort in the 29th minute for SuperSport, but his shot along the ground was easily saved by Velile Mothwa. Siyethemba Sithebe’s acrobatic effort a minute later, at the other end, flew over. 

The industrious-looking Tshepang Moremi shot just wide in the 34th minute, and Iqraam Rayners had a good chance a minute later as he broke free, but Mothwa made himself big and denied the Cape Town born player with a good one-on-one save.

An entertaining but goalless first half, but the momentum of the game was disrupted a bit after stadium lighting forced a delay in the start of the second half.

Bradley Grobler tried a shot from just outside the area in the 53rd minute, but his effort was always wide of Mothwa’s goal.

And while the second half had less action on the pitch, there was a bit more on the bench, as the emotions ran high, with Kaitano Tembo and Benni McCarthy having strong words for each other.

Grobler went close again in the 58th minute, but Mothwa did well to make a diving save to deny him. Teboho Mokoena’s first time effort in the 66th minute was off target, while Mthembu went just wide in the 70th minute.

Usuthu’s job was made tougher when the home team were reduced to ten men as Tercious Malepe was shown a straight red card in the 74th minute for a foul on Jamie Webber.

Rayners shot over from in front of goal in the 86 minute. SuperSport were also reduced to ten men after Luke Fleurs picked up a second yellow in the 90th minute.

But it ended goalless, with both teams sharing a point. McCarthy and AmaZulu still looking for their first win of the season.