Sundowns Beat Sekhukhune, Galaxy & City Draw

November 27, 2021

Mamelodi Sundowns beat Sekhukhune United 2-0, while TS Galaxy and Cape Town City drew 2-2, as two DStv Premiership matches were played on Saturday afternoon.

Sundowns’ victory over Sekhukhune United sees them move onto 30 points, nine points clear at the top of the table.

Mamelodi Sundowns 2-0 Sekhukhune United

Sundowns, who finished the game with ten men, scored a goal in each half as they beat Sekhukhune 2-0 at the Tuks Stadium.

It was the first ever meeting between Sundowns and Sekhukhune, who were only founded last year, and who were promoted after winning the GladAfrica Championship last season.

Haashim Domingo’s long range effort went wide in the eighth minute, while Pavol Safranko couldn’t keep his 15th minute shot down and it flew over. A minute later Neo Maema shot just wide and over.

Maema was not to be denied in the 20th minute, as he scored from close range, his third of the season, and second in back-to-back games. A minute later Peter Shalulile was on target, but his shot lacked power and Toaster Nsabata saved comfortably to deny the second.

Domingo went wide again in the 29th minute, while Grant Kekana was also off target with his attempt in the 36th minute.

1-0 to Sundowns at the break, and the momentum continued in a similar manner in the second half.

Sundowns were awarded a penalty in the 58th minute after Nyiko Mobbie was harshly adjudged to have handled the ball in the box. Themba Zwane stepped up and made no mistake to make it 2-0.

Denis Onyango didn’t have much to do in the match, but when called on to make save in the 77th minute, the Ugandan veteran did well to stop Cheslyn Jampies’ long range shot. Sundowns’ substitute Kermit Erasmus was just off target at the other end a minute later.

But there was drama in the 86th minute, as Onyango committed a professional foul, bringing down Tshegofatso Nyama outside the box, and he was sent off.

But despite being reduced to ten men, Sundowns’ held on for their ninth win of the season, as the defending champions remain unbeaten.

TS Galaxy 2-2 Cape Town City

TS Galaxy scored late to force a 2-2 draw against City at the Mbombela Stadium.

It was an action-packed start to the game, as Mduduzi Mdantsane put City in front in the opening minute of the game with a great volley, only for Mxolisi Macuphu to find an equaliser from close range just after the second minute.

There continued to be a lot of chances in the first half, with City in particular threatening, but Nathan Fasika, Surprise Ralani, Fagrie Lakay and Thami Mkhize’s efforts were all unsuccessful, while, before being an early substitution, Ethan Brooks had a chance saved by Hugo Marques at the other end.

At halftime the visitors would’ve been disappointed to not be ahead, as it remained 1-1.

Mdantsane put City back in front in the 62nd minute, when he scored from close range after Vasilije Kolak was unable to hold onto Lakay’s shot.

City would rue a number of missed opportunities as Galaxy drew level in the 89th minute, as Wayde Lekay tapped in from close range after being set up by Marks Munyai’s square ball.

Free iDiski Times

Trending News

More News