Connect with us


No Goals For City & Swallows

Cape Town City and Swallows played an entertaining but goalless game at the Athlone Stadium in Sunday’s MTN8 semi-final first leg.

Khanyisa Mayo had a half chance in the opening minute of the game, but headed wide of goal, while a minute later Terrence Mashego’s cross-come-shot went across the face of goal and just wide. City’s third shot in as many minutes came from Mdu Mdantsane, but his effort went over the goal.

Ruzaigh Gamildien had a chance for Swallows in the fifth minute, but his shot from outside the area flew over, while Junaid Sait’s header in the eighth minute was easily saved by Hugo Marques. Gamildien shot wide again in the 12th minute.

City had another good opportunity in the 17th minute, but Sipho Sibiya made an excellent block to deny Abdul Ajagun, after some good build up play by the home team. A minute later Strydom Wambi had an excellent chance for Swallows, but his final shot lacked power and Marques was able to save.

Surprise Ralani was on target in the 20th minute, but his long range shot went straight at Virgil Vries, while Abbubaker Mobara struck the upright in the 24th minute with a shot at the back post following a Mayo set piece. Ajagun’s effort two minutes later, was deflected wide.

Mashego had another chance in the 29th minute, but again it was off target, while Gamaldien had a chance from free kick in the 34th minute, but he couldn’t get it past the wall. Ajagun had another chance blocked in the 41st minute, while Thami Mkhize went wide following up.

Mayo went close in stoppage time, but Vries managed to get a touch to his powerful effort, and from the resulting corner Taariq Fielies headed just wide.

Bud despite almost twenty good chances in the half, at the break it remained goalless.

Dillon Solomons had a chance in the 47th minute after a good initial run from Khethukuthula Ndlovu, but Solomon’s effort was deflected wide.

But it was City who was controlling the possession, and Mayo went close again on the hour mark, but Vries was in the right place at the right time to pull off a good save.

While the second half wasn’t as action packed as the first, it was still entertaining as City showed some good initiative with their quick passing game.

City had another chance from a free kick in the 74th minute but substitute Dougie Mapfumo’s effort hit the wall and went over. Shane Roberts came on too, and a minute later his free kick attempt went just wide.

Swallows had a rare chance in the second half, as substitute Mwape Musonda shot off target in the 82nd minute, but a minute later the action was back at the other end as Ajagun first forced a good save out of Vries, before just shooting wide moments later.

Keletso Makgalwa tried a shot on the counter in the 86th minute, but Fielies made a good block, while the Swallows substitute almost stole it at the end, but went wide. Craig Martin headed wide at the other end as they had to settle for a draw.

City will be disappointed to not have won this, while Swallows will be more than happy to have held on for the draw going into next month’s second leg.

Cape Town City XI: Marques, Mkhize, Mobara, Fielies, Mashego, Makola, Ajagun, Mdantsane, Ralani, Mayo, Martin

Swallows XI: Vries, Sait, Sibiya, Sasman, Matlaba, Nyatama, Matlou, Ndlovu, Wambi, Solomons, Gamildien