Connect with us


Late Winner For Maritzburg

Maritzburg United struck late to beat Marumo Gallants 1-0 at the Harry Gwala Stadium on Wednesday evening, while in the earlier result, Golden Arrows and AmaZulu drew 2-2, in the two midweek DStv Premiership fixtures.

Rowan Human had a chance for the Team of Choice in the tenth minute, but his shot was off target. The former Amajita captain had another chance in the 31st minute but his shot was blocked and deflected wide.

Celimpilo Ngema’s shot in the 38th minute was saved by Marcel Engelhardt, while Lehlohonolo Nonyane’s attempt two minutes later went over the goal.

After a goalless first half, the home team came out trying to lift the tempo, but it was Gallants who had the early chances, though neither Letsie Koapeng or Thabo Mnyamane were able to take get their efforts, ten minutes into the half, on target. Engelhardt did well to deny Katlego Otladisa in the 58th minute as the chances fell to the visitors.

Ryan Rae had a chance in the 68th minute, but while there was power on his header, it was off target, while Sede Dion missed a great chance for Marumo in the 78th minute.

And just when it looked like it would be a stalemate, French striker Amadou Soukouna struck it home in stoppage time to give Ernst Middendorp’s team the three points, and move up to seventh on the table.

Earlier in the day at the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium, Golden Arrows and AmaZulu drew 2-2 in the KZN derby.

After some early domination, Usuthu finally broke the deadlock in the 24th minute, as Xola Mlambo made no mistake at close range from a corner.

But after the goal, Arrows seemed to wake up and they were rewarded with a penalty in the 28th minute, after a handball from Tsepo Masilela in the box. Knox Mutizwa stepped up and sent Veli Mothwa the wrong way. 

Arrows were awarded another penalty in the 40th minute, after a late challenge from Luvoyo Memela on Nkosinathi Sibisi. But this time Mutizwa struck the post, before Mothwa saved Pule Mmodi’s follow up.

Just before half-time Usuthu went close again, as Siyethemba Sithebe’s long range effort struck the upright, and from a free kick Siphesihle Maduna hit the crossbar on the hour mark, the third time the woodwork came into play.

But Arrows were looking strong in the second half and eventually grabbed the lead in the 77th minute, as Matome Mathiane’s looping header at a corner beat Mothwa.

But it was short-lived as Sibisi fouled Maduna in the box a minute later and Victor Gomes awarded the third penalty of the game.  Bonginkosi Ntuli stepped up and made no mistake.

And while Benni McCarthy will be happy to have rescued a point, Usuthu are still yet to win a league game this season, with their third draw in four games.



Latest News

Get iDiski Times On Magzter

Live Scores