Connect with us


City & Maritzburg Draw, Arrows Thump Galaxy

Ten man Maritzburg United held Cape Town City to a goalless draw away, while Golden Arrows beat TS Galaxy 3-0 in the two DStv Premiership matches played on Wednesday.

Cape Town City 0-0 Maritzburg United

Cape Town City were held to a goalless draw against ten man Maritzburg at the Cape Town Stadium.

Fagrie Lakay had a good chance in the 7th minute, but his powerful header from a corner kick was off target. Fares Hachi had a chance a minute later at the other end, but it too was off target.

An acrobat attempt from Taariq Fielies in the 12th minute was on target, but lacked power and went straight to Marcel Engelhardt. Two minutes later Aubrey Ngoma went just wide, after being neatly set up by Thabo Nodada.

There was some more good interplay by City in the 24th minute, and at the end of it Terrence Mashego had a shot, but it flew across the face of goal and wide.

 It wasn’t all City though, and at times Maritzburg looked to take control of the game, but they weren’t penetrating in the final third, as they found City’s defence tough to break down.

At halftime time, it remained goalless.

Maritzburg were reduced to ten men in the 68th minute, when Hachi picked up a second yellow card for a foul on Craig Martin.

Before the sending off it had been a real battle of attrition, but City began to use their one man advantage as they took control of possession and pressed for a winner, but Lakay’s snapshot in the 72nd minute was saved by Engelhardt, as City while dominating, still struggled to penetrate. 

In the end though Maritzburg were able to hold out as City were unable to find a winner.

Golden Arrows 3-0 TS Galaxy

Arrows were comfortable winners on Tuesday afternoon as they beat Galaxy 3-0 at the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium.

It was a good start for  the home team as Michael Gumede put them into the lead in just the sixth minute, as he side-footed Divine Lungu’s low cross past Marlon Heugh.

Pule Mmodi made it 2-0 just after the half-hour mark with a stunning shot from outside the box, that flew into the top right corner.

It was a deserved two nil lead at the break for the home team, and it could have been more as they missed a number of chances too.

There was a good chance for Mxolisi Macuphu in the 50th minute, but he was unable to pull a goal back for Galaxy, as Sifiso Mlungwana denied him.

Ntsako Makhubela made it 3-0 on the hour mark, another quality goal, but this time a header, as he got to the end of a Nkosinathi Sibisi cross.

Mlungwana made an excellent save in the 79th minute, as he denied Tshegofatso Nyama from close range. 

Arrows would end the game with ten men, after Sibiya was shown a second yellow card in the 90th minute, but by that point the game was already won.

Third placed Arrows move onto 46 points with two games remaining for them in the season.